You know you're an author when... #MondayBlogs

Today is my birthday! It seems fitting to write about who I am as a person, and who I was born to be.

"Baby, I was born this way"
~ Lady Gaga

A long time ago (May13th, 2014, to be precise), I wrote  a guest blog post for Babette James' Blog. (You can find it here - https://babettejames.com/2014/05/13/how-you-know-youre-a-writer-guest-post-by-j-c-mckenzie-author-of-shift-happens/). I wrote about how I found it difficult to come out as a writer, and how I felt like a fraud, even though I finally had my first book published. I also shared how I've been a writer for pretty much my whole life.

Since that post, I've gone on to publish 5 more books (soon to be 6) via Wild Rose Press, and I've become more comfortable admitting I'm an author to other people.

I'm still awkward as heck, but I think that's just the way I'm made.

Anyway, last weekend, my mom sent me a series of pictures from an old school assignment of mine. The pictures not only made me smile, they reminded me I truly have been a writer for a very long time.

In Mrs. Matthews Grade 7 class (12 yo), 
we had to rewrite a Fairy Tale's ending. I chose Snow White.


"Snow White: What happened after they got married.
The True Story."


"Well, you may have thought that Snow White and Prince Charming lived happily ever after, but they didn't. They lived in total misery. They fought over everything from pet frogs to housework. Who would have known that after they got married, Prince Charming would become bossy, and that Snow White would dye her hair blond and begin to act stupid."*


 "I dedicate the book to my dad and mom. 
I especially want to thank my mom who read and edited my book."

I dedicated this book to my parents (naturally), and I find it heart warming, that my mom is still one of my biggest supporters and cheerleaders. This would be fellow author, Jo-Ann Carson, and she read and helped edit my first book, Shift Happens, before I submitted to publishers and agents.(Thanks mom).


Yes, I acknowledged a classroom friend for the use of her ruler, and another for letting me use her pencil crayons! LOL

I'm not sure why my mom was going through what I can only imagine were boxes filled with old stuff like this, but it couldn't have come at a better time. For those of you who don't already know, I'm currently in the editing phase with my publisher for the 5th and final installment of the Carus Series. I find editing very rewarding at the end, but I also find it difficult. Every sentence now reads awkward. I doubt my character developments. I worry about plot holes and heroine/hero likability. Self doubt becomes suffocating.

Moms always know best. These pictures arrived at just the right time. They reminded me that I've always been a writer, and even if I doubt myself now, writing is inherently a part of who I am. The signs were always there, it just took me a while to see them.


If you're a writer, what was the first "sign"?

If you're a reader, what do you think happened to Snow White after her Happily Ever After?


*I apologize to blondes everywhere

Comments

  1. I love your twist on a classic fairy tale, although it seems a bit jaded for elementary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I guess I was a jaded little 12 year old, but I like to think of it as thought-provoking or controversial :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! If this is an older post, your comment will be moderated before it appears on the blog.

Popular posts from this blog

The Shadowheart Curse, by Karilyn Bentley

Kickass Heroines by Melissa Snark

The Boss, By Abigail Owen